Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Do You See What I See?

When you look at someone what do you see? Bank account? Outside appearance? Flaws? What about the things that really matter, their inner self, their heart, their soul?

I know for a fact when I look at the faces of Forbes World’s Billionaires list I see dollar signs; I don’t know what is inside any of their hearts. 

When I see a picture of someone like Abraham Lincoln I see the opposite; I see a gentle man with a heart of gold, I have no idea what his bank account totaled.

When Jesus looks at us what exactly does He see?

As He zeros in on us I don’t think our bank balance is of any interest except maybe how generous or stingy we are with it. As far as our appearance I get the feeling there is a big difference between what He sees as beauty, versus what society views as being beautiful.  Same with the flaws, we tend to concentrate on every microscopic detail, but with Jesus the same blemishes seem to vanish in thin air by His love and mercy.

As Christmas day approaches what are we hoping to see?

This is the season to get wrapped up in material things as we shop till we drop! Along with that comes the baking up a storm like we are hired Mrs. Field’s right hands, decorating galore, wrapping gifts well into the morning hours, running out the door after the mail truck as if it is a matter of life and death.

Yep, that is us, the human race, racing against time as Christmas day approaches closer.

Ever think of trying something different?

Of course I will still shop, and bake, and decorate, and wrap, and probably end up jogging out to the mailbox “just in time” at least once or twice this season, but my goal is to keep things under some type of personal control. Because what I really want is to once again feel some awe and wonderment as that of a child who first believes in the Christmas Miracle.

So when I start to feel like I’m getting too wrapped up into things, when I’m forgetting what it is all about, when I am worried more about what I’m giving rather than how I’m giving I will stop what I am doing and go to an area in my mind where I have set aside a place to ponder on the birth of Jesus as I mentally configure the scenes leading up to the manger holding our Lord. 


I will try to imagine what it must have been like to be one of those shepherds, and the miracle they experienced. To hear an angel tell you:“Glory to God in the highest heaven, and peace on earth to those with whom He is pleased!” Then to walk into the night, and find the Holy Family as described.

To gaze at a newborn child and see the face of God, and to know that the look He gives back is more than deserved. To realize that He isn’t interested so much in our net worth or our beauty marks, no what He sees is that what we all ache for, which is to be recognized by what really matters, to be seen for what is inside us, our inner self, our heart, our soul.

As we fix our eyes on that baby wrapped in swaddling clothes laying in a manger we get the chance to see real love, to see hope, to see a chance to change, to see what really matters in life, to see the Glory of God.

He is amazing, this Savior born in Bethlehem, the town of David, Christ the Lord!

Do you see what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment