Wednesday, November 28, 2012

How to Pray In a Saintly Way

Saint Catherine Laboure whose feast day is celebrated November 28th wrote the following:

“Whenever I go to the chapel I put myself in the presence of our good Lord and I say to Him “Lord, I am here.  Tell me what you would have me do.”  If He gives me some task I am content and I thank Him.  If He gives me nothing, I still thank Him since I do not deserve to receive anything more than that.  And then I tell God everything that is in my heart.  I tell Him about my pains and my joys, and then I listen.  If you listen God will also speak to you, for with the good Lord you have to both speak and listen.  God always speaks to you when you approach him plainly and simply.”

I think these words are the backbone to all prayer.  It is such a beautifully written account on how Saint Catherine Laboure spent her time in prayer with our Lord; every time I read it certain words seems to literally jump off the page leaving their imprint all over my soul; leading me into a deeper prayer life than I would have ever gained on my own.

Her written words make me realize whenever I am going to pray I need to push all other thoughts aside and seek the presence of our good Lord.  I love how she eagerly announces Lord, I am hereTell me please what Your will is for me.  Whatever comes or doesn’t come through some revelation I am contentI thank Him over and over in my mind.  I tell God everything; meaning the good the bad, and the ugly.  I cry out my pains, I share my joysThen I listen.

Her wisdom helps me pray in a more focused manner.


If ever my two feet arrive in Paris I will go directly to 140 Rue du Bac where her incorrupt body lies in a glass coffin at the side altar of the Chapel of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal.  My prayer would start out with “Saint Catherine Laboure, I am here; please pray with me”.

Then I would think of her words:  “God always speaks to you when you approach him plainly and simply.”

No comments:

Post a Comment