Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Phone Call

In 1876, Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone which is now carried in pockets and purses; stuffed in lockers and lunch boxes; concealed under Priest’s robes and many a doctor’s lab coats.  Just about everyone I know owns some type of cell phone, smart phone, I-phone, “can’t live without” phone.

Countless calls have been made using this amazing invention.  It is a way to communicate across the miles.  If you are lonely or bored, sick or scared, unsure of which way to decide, too happy to contain yourself, need someone to talk to, need someone to listen to, all you have to do is dial a number and magically your voices are connected together.

Throughout the day my phone beeps with those annoying telemarketing calls, not so exciting doctor and dentist appointment reminders, delightful lunch invitations, a few wrong numbers and welcoming rings from my husband wondering what I’m up to.

My phone also receives calls where God happens to chime in and when He does I gain a whole new respect for this little device I can easily hold in my hand.

This call where God happens to come through is with a special phone companion I have been chatting with for many, many moons.  We’re siblings (sister and brother) and have used this invention to re-connect and grow and learn from each other; it has become how we share our faith and voice our prayers.

I know I can call him if I’m feeling out of sorts, maybe a little bored, wanting to broadcast some good luck thing that fell my way, looking for advice, or needing to vent.  I simply go to my contacts and press his number and from the word hello anything goes.

We talk about everything and anything; we discuss religion, politics, sports, growing up on a farm, being one of ten siblings, plus all those things we wished we would have done, things we wished we wouldn’t have done, things we should have done.

It is after we’ve said all there is to say, when we’ve got caught up on each of our lives, when we’ve laughed and joked all we want; then our conversation takes a turn that is more than an exchange of pleasantries.  As our dialogue becomes sincere something remarkable happens.

Our words become faith borne!  Our talk turns to that of hope, our prayers become plans for each other, and our love of God becomes the message that rings through the phone call that started out as simply hello.

Sure, we say we are calling each other just to say hi and to keep tabs on one another, but deep down we both know something mystical and heartwarming is going on as we communicate.  God has occupied a spot in our conversation and the Holy Spirit has absorbed our thoughts.  A simple greeting becomes a remarkable prayer of sorts and there is no mistake that God has entered into our phone call loud and clear.

Difficult to believe, but somehow that tiny device that I shove in my pocket, throw in my purse, always in need of a charge can bring forth such a pronouncement of faith.

Hebrews 4:12 tells us “The word of God is alive and active, sharper than any double-edged sword.  It cuts all the way through, to where soul and spirit meet, to where joints and marrow come together.  It judges the desires and thoughts of the heart.”

We should all take heart when we answer our phones knowing God is most likely listening to our words.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment